Stefan J. Friedrichsdorf, MD, FAAP, Medical Director, Department of Pain Medicine, Palliative Care & Integrative Medicine, Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota
Stefan J. Friedrichsdorf is medical director of the Department of Pain Medicine, Palliative Care and Integrative Medicine at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics in Minnesota, Minneapolis / St. Paul – one of the largest and most comprehensive programs of its kind in the country.
The pain & palliative care program is devoted to control acute, chronic/complex and procedural pain in all in- and outpatients in close collaboration with all pediatric subspecialties at Children’s Minnesota. The team also provides holistic, interdisciplinary care for children and teens with life-limiting or terminal diseases and their families. Integrative Medicine provides and teaches integrative, non-pharmacological therapies (such as massage, acupuncture/acupressure, biofeedback, aromatherapy, self-hypnosis) to provide care that promotes optimal health and supports the highest level of functioning in all individual child’s activities.
Dr. Friedrichsdorf sees pediatric patients as inpatients, in the interdisciplinary pain clinic, in the palliative care clinic, and/or in the community/at home. He is the sponsor of the system-wide lean value stream “The Comfort Promise: We do everything possible to prevent and treat pain” at Children’s Minnesota to minimize and prevent pain caused by needles for all in- and outpatients. In 2015 the team opened an award winning, unique 10,000 square feet “Healing Environment” Pain, Palliative and Integrative Medicine Clinic.
Dr. Friedrichsdorf received the 2016 “Elizabeth Narcessian Award for Outstanding Educational Achievements in the Field of Pain” by the American Pain Society and the 2011 “Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physician Award”. The department received the “Circle of Life Award” by the American Hospital Association in 2008, was selected as a Palliative Care Leadership Center for the Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC) 2008-2015, and the 2013 recipient of the “Clinical Centers of Excellence in Pain Management Award” by the American Pain Society.
He is associate editor of the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, the principal investigator of a National Institutes of Health (NIH) / National Cancer Institute (NCI) six-year multisite study on the creation, implementation and evaluation of a Pediatric Palliative Care Curriculum (EPEC-Pediatrics) and is course director of the annual week-long “Pediatric Pain Master Class”. Dr. Friedrichsdorf lectures extensively nationally and internationally about pediatric pain medicine & palliative care and has a track record of publications in the field, including contributions to more than 20 books on the subject.
Selected media & video links:
- TV: Kare11 Morning Show (NBC) (March, 19, 2016): Integrative Medicine for children http://www.kare11.com/mb/entertainment/television/programs/kare-saturday/integrative-medicine-for-children/86929882
- The New York Times (Dec 16, 2015) essay by Dr. Stefan Friedrichsdorf “When a Baby Dies” http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/when-a-baby-dies/?_r=1
- Video: Kiran Stordalen and Horst Rechelbacher Pediatric Pain, Palliative and Integrative Medicine Clinic Tour https://vimeo.com/122654881
“Children’s Comfort Promise: Doing everything possible to treat and prevent pain.” Eliminating Needle Pain in children (Feb 2015): https://www.childrensmn.org/comfortpromise Staff video: http://vimeo.com/106286508
- Short Movie: Meet the Interdisciplinary Chronic Pain Clinic Team at Children’s Minnesota: LittleStars TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=Bb1fHxfjdWI
- Video: Tour of the Kiran Stordalen and Horst Rechelbacher Pediatric Pain, Palliative and Integrative Medicine Clinic at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota and an overview of the three programs that are offered at Children’s under this clinic. https://vimeo.com/123357296
- Short Movie: LittleStarsFilm ‘Kali’s Story – Beyond the NICU’: This amazing pediatric palliative care short movie (7 min) features 8-year-old Kali’s journey at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota from NICU to today, receiving care by the Pain & Palliative & Integrative Medicine program while inpatient, in the clinic, and at home (Jan 22, 2015) http://www.littlestars.tv/short-films/beyond-the-nicu
- Stefan Friedrichsdorf: Pain Management in Hospitalized Children – From Schrödinger’s Cat and Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle to Myths, Morphine and Multimodal Analgesia. Pediatric Grand Rounds. Stanford Children’s Health. Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, Stanford, CA. Feb 12, 2016 (58 min) http://tinyurl.com/Stanford-16Feb2016
- CBS news coverage on the Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota “Comfort Promise: We do everything possible to prevent and treat pain” program to eliminate needle pain in children (May 12, 2015) http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/05/12/program-at-childrens-hospital-aims-to-ease-needle-fears/
- 2015 Leaders in Health Care Awards: Interior Design/Architecture Project was awarded to the Horst Rechelbacher and Kiran Stordalen and Pediatric Pain, Palliative and Integrative Medicine Clinic at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota. Minnesota Business Magazine, Nov 2015 (25)11:27 http://www.minnesotabusiness.com/feature-2015-leaders-health-care-awards#spoke-interior-design/architecture-project
- Kare11 Minneapolis/St.Paul (NBC): Innovative kids’ pain clinic opens in Twin Cities (Jan 15, 2015) http://www.kare11.com/story/news/health/2015/01/15/innovative-kids-pain-clinic-opens-in-twin-cities/21828461
- WCCO 4 News At 6: Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis officially opened a pain clinic unlike any other in the country, reports Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield (Jan. 15, 2015) http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/childrens-pain-clinic-offers-aromatherapy-massage/vp-AA8dArs
- Children’s new Pain, Palliative & Integrative Medicine Clinic opens new doors https://www.childrensmn.org/2015/01/15/childrens-pain-and-palliative-care-clinic-opens-new-doors
- Minneapolis/St.Paul Magazine: Horst Rechelbacher’s legacy: $ 3.1 Million New Healing Environment Pain, Palliative & Integrative Medicine Clinic at Children’s of MN (Oct 2014) http://mspmag.com/Out-And-About/Articles/Features/Horst-Rechelbacher-s-Legacy/